Publishing The Millionaire Teacher

best-car-rentals_650x120

In four or five months, Wiley is going to publish my book, The Millionaire Teacher.

I’m honoured that such a great publisher has supported the project, and it’s exhilarating to know that I’ll be published by the same folk behind all of John Bogle’s books,

Lawrence Cunningham’s The Essays of Warren Buffett,

Ken Fisher’s The Only 3 Questions That Count,

Dick Davis’ The Dick Davis Dividend,

Philip Fisher’s classic Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits,

Wiley’s Little Book of Investing Series,

And so many others.

What Makes This Book Different?

Dozens of non -financially minded folk have read my drafted manuscripts to reveal what they don’t understand.  And I’ve made numerous changes, making The Millionaire Teacher, perhaps, one of the simplest personal finance books on the market.  And it might be one of the liveliest!

Unlike most financial authors, I’ve walked the walk with a middle class salary, so I’m hoping to inspire people with my personal story.  I was fortunate enough to accumulate a $1 million portfolio, while still in my 30s, as a schoolteacher.  I paid my own educational expenses, and I haven’t inherited a penny from anyone.

I’ve outlined, for starters, some of the frugal strategies I used when I was younger.  As nutty as some of them were, it’s important for people to realize that most millionaires don’t spend as much money as most people think.  I wasn’t “dumpster diving” for my food, but some of my earlier savings strategies would probably make some big city pan-handlers cringe.

I don’t recommend that anyone follow my self-imposed, youthful penury.  But at the same time, if you can’t save money, it doesn’t matter how well you can compound $10 a month.  The first million has to start with a diligent savings plan.  And I’m not above poking fun at some of the “Big Hat No Cattle” folk who look rich, collect large salaries, but are really living month to month.

Touting a method of indexed investing, combined with Warren Buffett’s ideology of “Being Fearful When Others Are Greedy” has allowed me to juice my ample savings into investment returns–easily exceeding those of a typical index investor.   I’ve also woven an instructional path with personal anecdotes, and a strong message to stay away from the financial products sold by most financial advisors.

Writing about my dumbest investment moves, coupled with the casino-esque temptations that can derail the soundest investment plans should allow for both entertaining and instructional reading.  And to cap it all off, I’ve included a chapter on stock picking, Warren Buffett-style…for the confident souls who try battling the market, against all odds.

Many people have inspired me to complete this project, and I look forward to passing on my continued gratitude.

I ‘ll keep you posted on the book’s progress.

For further reading about the self-promoting author, there’s an interview conducted by Kevin, at Investitwisely.com

best-hotel-car-bnr

andrew hallam

andrew hallam

I'm a freelance finance writer, lucky enough to have been nominated as a finalist for two Canadian National Publishing Awards. I'm also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School, a book explaining how I became a millionaire on a teacher's salary, while still in my 30s. Working to empower people financially, I'm available to motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and index investing. I'm happy to comment on your questions, first, please read the Terms of Use.

1. DIY Investor says:

I am looking forward to it. Your talent for explaining financial concepts in an entertaining and anecdotal way will surely make the book a huge success. I talk to many teachers and others of average income who need inspiration that they can build a successful retirement fund. So tell Wiley to hurry up! :)

2. I'm looking forward to getting a copy myself.

3. Barry says:

Congratulations! That is truly an accomplishment!

4. Think Dividends says:

Great! I'll pick one up because I really like your story.

5. I'm looking forward to devouring this book, Andrew, and I wish you the best of success. You deserve it!

6. Same here. looking forward to grab a copy!

Are you going to tease us with a paragraph every once in a while until the release ?

7. I look forward to getting a copy!

What a great accomplishment Andrew!

Just don't forget the small folk (like me) on your way up the ladder :)

8. Andrew, congrats a big achievment. I look forward to reading it :) We are all expecting autographed copies of course (hand delivered by courrier – you can afford that from the book royalties) ^ ^

9. @DIY Investor

Thanks Robert,

Wiley is probably going to be great about getting this book out in a hurry. It's me they have to worry about. I'm still altering parts of it. I want to know that it's exactly the way I want it before it goes to press. Thanks so much for the support!

10. @The Biz of Life

Thanks Biz,

With your sense of humor, I think you could write a book about snow that would make people laugh. Ever thought about writing a book? Or have you written one?

11. @Barry

Thanks Barry,

By the way, your assessment of WalMart was excellent. For those who haven't read it, check it out here: http://www.thedividendpig.com/?p=268

12. @Think Dividends

Hey Think Dividends,

Thanks—I really look forward to sharing it. Just out of curiosity, if you were going to write a persoal finance book, is there anything you would add that you haven't seen in a PF book before. Of course, I had to ask that question myself. But what would you include that you haven't seen before?

13. @Invest It Wisely

Thanks Kevin,

I look forward to your review!

For those of you who don't know, Kevin is carving out a reputation as one of the most thorough book reviewers online. In case you missed his latest review, here it is: http://www.investitwisely.com/becoming-a-renaissa

14. @The Passive Income Earner

Hey Passive,

That sounds like a great idea! At one point, I do explain why stocks are like crazed dogs on long leashes. That might be a good one for me to go with, at some point.

Thanks!

15. @My Own Advisor

Hey Mark,

If you keep growing that dividend income at the rate it's growing, you'll be the biggest cheese on the block. I love the way you and Passive document your annual dividend income growth: http://myownadvisor.blogspot.com/2011/01/december

16. @The Dividend Ninja

Hey Ninja,

Maybe, just for you, I could end up doing that. An element of surprise, my Ninja friend!

17. Think Dividends says:

@Andrew: The one thing that I would want to see in a PF Book is the actual portfolio holdings of really successfull investors (similar to what you are doing by publishing the portfolio of your investment club).

18. @Think Dividends

Hey Think Dividends,

I see your point. But perhaps more interesting would be the actual portfolio holdings over time. Perhaps a page devoted to the holdings year: 20 years = 20 pages. You could see what kind of turnover took place, whether their track records were due to one or two potentially lucky picks etc. I don't think you could see their picks and try emulating their portfolio. I have friends who own the same stocks our investment club owns, but they have terrible returns. They don't like to buy on the lows. They just figure that if they own the same stocks, things will turn out peachy. I suppose, on those statements, it would be interesting to also see audited dates of purchases and prices. What do you think?

19. Congratulations Andrew. Nothing succeeds like success. I know a few big-hat no-cattle folks, in hock up past their ears. They might take a few pointers from your books. I know I will when it comes out. Well done!

20. @Andrew @ 101 Centavos

Thanks Andrew,

I always wonder what makes so many people over-extend themselves financially. Insecurity or just an unawareness? I think it's mostly just an unawareness. What do you think?

21. 101 Centavos says:

Unawareness is a good catch-all for lots of factors… ignorance about money matters, poor impulse control, therapy shopping, hoarding, bad planning, sheer idiocy…. pick one.

22. Excellent news Andrew,

Having completed this big project must feel GREAT! All the best and wishing you lots of sales for 2011.

I'd love a >signed< copy once it's out 😉

23. Jean says:

Congratulations, Andrew, on both the creation of this book and for having it identified at our school for "textbook adoption" in future Personal Finance courses. I believe you were originally inspired to write the book when considering what we (the adults in the world nowadays) never learned, or never learned well, about PF when we were younger. Well, now you've got your first audience of young readers to gain such knowledge and learn from your wisdom. I'll make sure I get a copy for my own niece and nephew, as well (though I want to read it first!). Well done!

24. Jean says:

@Andrew Hallam

You bet, Andrew, and I really like the earlier suggestion to post a few teasers for us before the book is published. What do you think?

25. Bill W says:

Great, just what we need, another person trying to make millions by doing nothing more than telling others how to make millions, lmao!

26. Sri says:

Congratulations on the new book.

'Millionaire Teacher', 'Wealthy Barber'… what's next – the 'Plutocrat Plumber'? 😉

27. @Jean

That sounds like a great idea Jean. Thanks. Talking to the publisher's assistant last week, she told me something that I thought was pretty funny. They have had authors who have gone to conferences pertaining somewhat to a subject they are writing a book about. And even before they're finished the first draft of their manuscript, they've asked Wiley to bind some kind of rough book for them so they can start promoting it—based on a few finished chapters, an outline etc. I thought that was pretty bizarre.

28. @Bill W

Thanks for the comment Bill. After giving out loads of free investment books at free investment seminars, I found that there was a need for a personal finance book that was written, not by a financial expert, but by someone who could describe concepts even more clearly, without taking anything for granted, with respect to financial knowledge gaps by the average worker. My intention wasn't capitalistic at all. If I truly do have a teachable tool (in this book) that reaches an even broader audience of people who could benefit, then I hope it does sell millions.

29. @Sri

Thanks Sri! The Plutocrat Plumber would be a good one!

30. I'm looking forward to reading it and seeing it on the bookshelves- it has a really catchy title, and I'm sure you'll have a huge following from teachers everywhere!

Very inspirational indeed.

31. Thanks Young—I hope I do!

32. Congratulations Andrew !

33. @cynical investor

Thanks Cynical! I hope you like it!

34. Hey Andrew

Great news. I published a business book with Wiley about 10 years ago

35. @larry macdonald

Thanks Larry,

I saw on your blog that you've published a couple of books. At some point, we need to share the experiences we've had with the process. It's definitely interesting.

36. BBerg says:

Andrew-Looking forward to picking up your book and would love to take your Personal Finance course. I believe the tuition would be a bit out of my neighborhood but an online course would be fantastic. Any plans? I also enjoyed the interview featured on Investitwisely.com very much.

It seems that your textbook publishing dream is finally coming to a reality knowing first hand that it has been on your mind for at least 6 or 7 years. Much like Jean in a previous post, I will be buying a couple of these books for each of my sons who are now both teaching. All the best in your book launch and your physical training. Bill

37. @BBerg

Thanks Bill,

You have a good memory! I've wanted to do something like this for years. I think you'll like it. Thanks for the support!

38. CJ Horan says:

Hi Andrew. I saw you on Global and I would like to buy your book. Trouble is I can't find it in Kelowna. Mosaic will order it but it could take 4 weeks. I was hoping to give it for a Christmas gift. Where can I buy it?

• Hi CJ,

Thanks for your interest in the book. It really surprised the publisher, hitting number one on Amazon in the U.S. then running out of copies on Amazon Canada.

Despite the unavailability, if you order through Amazon, you will have your copy by mid December. I'm really sorry about the wait. But please order the book. I think you'll like it, and it would make a very useful gift.

39. Richard says:

I think they are paranoid about the shortness of life, and have the "eat dessert first" attitude. Besides, you can see in the news how many of the "big hat – no cattle" crowd avoid consequences of their conspicuous consumption through legal circumventions. See Glenn Greenwald.

40. Brian Cleveland says:

I've finished reading finally, altho it took me two weeks with personal (ie, family) interruptions and distractions. My gratitude for the affirmation and confirmation of what I long held faith for in index funds. Having a pro stock broker in the family already put me on guard for a products spiel at most family get-togethers; been there done that. As a Vanguard client I can only agree with you more than 100% on investment selections, and then some. Thanks for putting the word out on thinking independently and w/o fear on investments. And …………..Let's Go Canucks!!