How to Retire Rich–Even if You’re Not – Indonesia

andrew hallam

andrew hallam

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (Wiley 2011) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use.

1. Bill Boutilier says:

Hello Andrew,

When we visited Bali in October I read that the international airport on Lombok will be finished in 2010 but it will take another year for the infrastructure to be in place before it can open for international flights. Once it opens Lombok could be in for some changes.

Bill

2. @Peter Quinn

Thanks for reading Peter–and thanks for the encouragement.

3. wolly dekker says:

Please send me updates, thanks

4. Hey Wolly,

If I ever end up going for it myself, I'll blog the heck out of it so you can learn from the dumb mistakes I'll (likely) end up making.

You can be my wiser neighbour in retirement paradise.

5. Terry says:

Wow, all I can say is wow. Thanks, Andrew!

6. Andy Ayers says:

t I have a friend that visits there often. He ships out. Says it is beautiful. Thinking about retiring in Bali . Please. Send me info

7. KATIE says:

I AM INTERESTED IN RETIRING IN LOMBOK CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IS LIKE. ALSO IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET VISAS?

• Hi Katie,

Renewable visas aren't difficult, but the health care system isn't great. Bali is a better option for health care…but still, not close to the standards you might be accustomed to. I suppose it's like anything: without taking some risks, we miss out on many potential rewards.

8. Patrick Grimes says:

Dear Andrew Hallam

You mentioned house rentals on Lombok for $250 dollars a year. This is now July 16, 2014. Do prices like that even exist today? Recently an expat in Indonesia mentioned similar rental prices. I hope you are still there.

9. robert says:

Bali is a good location for an expat who wants to retire. for those who want to invest, there are many good choice of location properties mainly to support your retirement accommodation. Certainly very beneficial. maybe the problem is standardization regarding health care and other fundamental matters. you know, the state of Indonesia still needs a lot of things to be like the developed countries, and this was the cause of how the bureaucracy that developed in this country to be very slow. If you want information about property in Bali you can follow http://villabalisale.com/home-retirement …. nice share. thanks for the information.