My Worst Day’s Silver Lining

andrew hallam

andrew hallam

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (Wiley 2011) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use.

1. Wink Richardson says:

Way to go on another race!! Many would not even try. I'll be thinking of you doing the Kusam Klimb this year in Sayward… Love Wink

2. Cheers Kevin,

I cringe a bit when reading that post's final couple of sentences. It sounds as if I'm trying to tell people what to think. Ha! As if I'm some kind of authority. Now THAT makes me laugh!

3. Thanks Wink!

Enjoy the Kusam Klimb this summer. I did that event the first year they had it. It's a crazy climb into the snow. At sea level, where we started (the year I did it) it was 30 degrees celcius, but we climbed up to the snow level–which all seems so ridiculous when I think of it now. Have fun—and I hope the weather ends up being perfect for you.

4. Mich @BTI says:

Each one of us has an expiry date. Keep the moral high and make the most of life. Your advice reflects the right attitude. Keep it up!

Please keep us updated, we'd love to hear you getting a clean health bill in the coming weeks.

5. Sue Alfawicki says:

Go do it, Andy! We know you can!

6. Thanks Sue! I will!!

7. Neil Holm says:

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the update. Continue to kick butt and go for first place next year in that race.

Hopefully we will see you two this summer. We need to do another 66 minute loop run towards the dam.

Neil & Karin

8. JoAnn says:

Ahh Andrew….I love hearing your stories. Still have your picture up the "ice cream sandwich"…you between Bill and I in the summer out in Kye Bay! I love the lifeforce you have and your outlook on life..go bird go!!

9. Wow Andrew. Great post. Life is certainly for the living. The only other thing I want to write is: kick some ass!

10. Natasha says:

Well Andrew, you nailed it…in that the one thing we all have in common is that none of us get out of here alive.

11. Andrew Hallam Andrew Hallam says:

@Neil Holm

Thanks Neil,

But let's make that a shorter run this time! Your easy pace will be like racing for me now!

12. Andrew Hallam Andrew Hallam says:

Thanks JoAnn!

It took me a few seconds to figure out the "Ice Cream Sandwich" metaphor. But then I remember how you and Bill had spent waaaayyyyy too much time in the sun that summer! And I hadn't spent enough!

See you in July!

13. Andrew Hallam Andrew Hallam says:

Hey Natasha,

I thought you'd be the sort who believed in past lives and "forevers". Comforting thoughts, no? I just read a book called Many Lives, Many Masters. I have an open mind, but it made me laugh incredulously out loud a few times early on.

Psychiatrist to patient undergoing past life recall:

"Catherine, what year is it?"

Catherine to psychiatrist:

"It's 776 B.C."

This wasn't supposed to be fiction, but if this gal was living 776 years before Christ, how would she have known that– before the Christian calendar was created?

Anyway, it's a nice thought.

14. Natasha says:

Andrew: Ask me when I am drawing my last breath what my actual belief is…perhaps it will have changed.

15. Lara says:

So just keep on kicking ass boy!!

Looking forward to stealing some of your time this summer if you've got any left!

Hugs, from all us Dixon 4..:)

16. Andrew Hallam Andrew Hallam says:

Thanks Lara,

We're looking forward to the break. Speaking of breaks. I was running the other day and some guys accidentally slammed a portable dumpster into my ribs, breaking two of them on my surgery side. And according to a recent MRI, I already had one cracked rib. Oh, the stories will flow this summer!