Post-Cancer Perspectives and Triumphs

andrew hallam

andrew hallam

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (Wiley 2011) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use.

1. Jean says:

There's little more to say, Andrew, than what an inspiration you are. What an impressive accomplishment given your relatively recent circumstances (and challenges). Thanks for sharing your story and perspective on your blog, and may you continue to live well and provide insight to others.

2. Annika says:

Amazing write! I almost lost it several times… but at the end my eyes were really tearing up. You are so inspirational… I love that you are grateful and not spiteful for what has happened in your life.

I'm so proud of your race! you are seriously amazing… I'm so proud to call you a friend.

Keep it up! You are really inspiring so many people you have NO idea!

3. Keith says:

Awesome Andrew – thank you so much for sharing your story. Truly inspirational!

4. Chris Strubbe says:

AMEN Andrew! What a great story to wake up to on this Good Friday heading into Easter weekend! I'm inspired- Chris the Truck Driver

5. Jessie Kerr says:

Hello Andrew, I am Lisa Cooke's mum and good friends with Simon and Erin. I am amazed by your story. Yes, in my life I have faced great challenges, and attitude has helped me to overcome them. Thank you for writing this piece. It is inspirational on all levels…All the best to you, Jessie

• Thanks Jessie!

The Buddhists say that life is suffering, right? That's one way to look at it, I suppose. And while it's partly true, there are silver linings in the darkest corners too. I think we met once before, in 1996. Do you remember?

6. The Dividend Ninja says:

Andrew as someone who used to run and cycle all the time, your article is truly inspiring 🙂 Though I have been blessed with good health, your 3rd place win is above and beyond 1st place in anyone's eyes.

You have obviously overcome a lot this year, but you are obviously an inspiration to both your students and readers!

Cheers

• Thanks Ninja!

Do you still run and cycle sometimes? I used to do a lot of cycling, but I can't risk falling now, so I'm careful about where I ride. How about you? Still riding and running a little bit?

7. Bri says:

Wow, what a great read! You are such a stud! This inspired me beyond words. With my first sprint triathlon tomorrow, I will be thinking about you the whole time. Much love to you my friend!

• Good luck on that triathlon Bri!! Enjoy it…then dig deeply on the second half of that run.

I love telling the story about how I met you and Dan.

Dan was cycling, and we were sleeping in a van (Provo, Utah, right?) on a dead-end road because we were too cheap to pay for a campsite. Honestly, we really were getting ready to go to bed, and Dan said, "You have to stay at my place." He knocked on the van to tell us this. Then he cycled to a payphone to call you, and see if it was OK. But by then, we were on our way. I'll always remember your hospitality, and I can't wait until we can meet again!

Let me know how the triathlon pans out!

8. Well said friend! You are a blessing and a joy to so many. We are grateful the past 2 years are PAST!

9. Cheers Ravi!

And I look forward to reading your next story!

10. Thanks Shelly,

Those times were tough, for sure.

I distinctly remember wishing that you were my nurse when I was in that hospital. Do you remember the stories I came back with? That one about the nurse not putting the bucket under the wheelchair/toilet commode was classic!

And here's the classic nurse quote I will never forget:

"Hospital have no more blanket"

11. Outstanding Achievement! Congratulations Andrew. It's very inspiring and so true that we need to look at what we accomplish rather than focus on what you haven't accomplished.

12. Joe says:

Congrats Andrew! You are the man (but I still beat you in the paper airplane contest out your window) 🙂

13. Matt & Vicki says:

What's left to say that hasn't already been…? "Inspire" just begins to describe how significant and appreciated you (and Pele!) are in the Rameker-Rogers kampung.

14. DIY Investor says:

Incredible story. It will get a lot of people realizing that our day to day worries are miniscule and that there are many facing real challenges. You are a true inspiration for those seeking to beat those challenges!

Embracing "what you have" is great advice.

15. Mike Holman says:

Amazing story – kind of like Terry Fox, but with a happy ending.

I can't believe you would want to watch your last days watching Ghost Whisperer! Ok, I admit that I watch it too – but it's a bit lame. 🙂

• I've been known to watch a few minutes of Ghost Whisperer, but mostly because of Jennifer Love Hewitt. She is quite lovely.

A story like this really helps put things in perspective. Andrew, you truly are a remarkable guy.

16. Think Dividends says:

Thanks for putting things into perspective Andrew!

17. WOW. Really. What else is there to say?

All my best to you for future health and happiness Andrew.

Most importantly, continue to keep that positive lens of yours wide open 🙂

Mark

18. larry macdonald says:

Andrew:

Truly amazing for you to finish the race so well after what you have been through. Congratulations. For your second book, how about a biography? It's sure to be a bestseller.

19. Bill Boutilier says:

Hey Andrew,

In the past I would tell you stories about the old timers in the Sayward Valley and about the the haywire guys I worked with. Now my stories are about the amazing friend I have in Singapore. I know that I will have many more to tell in the future!! We love you, Bill and Roma

20. [email protected] says:

Thank you for sharing. You have been through so much and are so inspiring. Pretty amazing. All the best to you, thanks, Pat

21. I haven't had to go through what you've been through, Andrew, but my mother smoked and drank during her pregnancy, and my whole body is basically a little off kilter, with one leg a bit longer than the other and things like that. When I had a knife massage in Taiwan, the guy was asking me if I had fallen down on my side!

Random shit happens to all of us that we had absolutely no control over, and sometimes it's bad shit. Nonetheless it won't make my life any better if I spend my energy thinking about that. Gotta be thankful for what we do have, even if our own minds sometimes work against us.

You're a great inspiration to me, Andrew, and don't ever stop sharing your story. I can't wait to read the book. 🙂

22. christian says:

I just went to my counselor to switch into your class next semester. After your lecture today and reading this, I can't wait.

• I'm glad that you liked my talk today Christian. And I'm absolutely thrilled that you'll be in my class next semester! You're welcome to comment or ask questions on this blog at anytime. I have a group of smart readers who can help with your questions as well!

23. Andrew Gillott says:

Hey Mr. Hallam long time no talk!

Some idle time on Google brought me here and, while I'm shocked that you went through what you did, I'm not the least bit surprised that you bounced back from it so well. Send me an email sometime as it'd be great to catch up with you.

Your old cycling pupil,

Andrew Gillott

andrew.gillott [at] gmal.com

24. Trisha and Bruce says:

Wow Andrew! What an amazing story! Congratulations on your fabulous run. We would love to see you when you are next in Victoria.

25. Mandy says:

Thanks Andrew for the inspiration as always!

Btw, my wife has started reading your book (after I did), and guess what – you've got an additional fan!

Your book and story have touched our and so many people's lives in extremely positive way, and that's how far you've reached. Thanks again and all the best! 🙂

26. mike korb says:

Hello Andrew,

What a fantastic story, It was so nice to chat the other day. All though we didn’t have much time to talk. I definitely got inspired talking with you. I always tell people every day is a gift and I believe that with all my heart. Its not what you have its what you appreciate. I think positivity is contagious. Thank you for your story.

Talk soon,

Mike Korb

27. Sharona says:

You’re definitely an inspiration to me. I’ve started to read you’re book ‘Millionaire Teacher’ and came across the part related toward the bone cancer. Thank you for sharing your life story and wisdom with the world. I hope and pray for you and your family. God Bless You and Your Family