Millionaire Teacher – Now Available in Singapore’s Bookstores!

everyone wants millionaire teacher book

Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School is now available in Singapore!

Attend my book launch at Kinokuniya’s main store in Singapore, on Saturday, September 3rd, at 3:30-4:30 pm. I’ll do my best to deliver an entertaining talk, so if you’re downtown on Saturday afternoon, please stop by.

And be sure to scoop a copy of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School.

For Kinokuniya’s published synopsis of Millionaire Teacher, check it out:

If you want to grow rich, most people think that you need a high salary and a high tolerance for risk.  That isn’t true.  Andrew Hallam became a millionaire on a teacher’s salary, while still in his 30s.  And he wants to show you how he did it.

Have you ever thought of this?

You live one life, and your employer is essentially buying it from you!  Think of how much time the average person spends at work.  If they’re not loving their jobs, then they’re selling their souls for a pay-check.  You don’t need to sell your soul if you want to grow wealthy.  Find a job that you love (preferably one that gives you great holidays!) and learn to master money, so you can eventually grow rich.  It’s not always how much money you make that counts—it’s what you do with the money you make!

Nobody wants to be stressed by a demanding job.  But when people fall into mundane, life-destroying vocations, they typically seek forms of “retail therapy” to quench their dampening spirits.  But unfortunately, such hyper-consumption jeopardizes their wealth-building potential, while adding to their stress levels—especially if they get on a treadmill of credit-card debt.

If you become the master of your own life, you’ll control your spending, find a job you love, invest the money effectively, and grow far wealthier than your neighbours… without having stress as a complimentary accessory.

For starters, you’ll need to effectively invest your money.  But there are plenty of venomous snakes in the financial service industry to beware of.  Their primary job is to make money for themselves, and their firms, while you (the typical investor) are a distant second or third on their list of priorities.

The financial planning industry’s dirty little secret prevents you from buying the best investment products.  There are products called “Index Funds” which are supported by mountains of academic evidence, as the products that will give you the greatest statistical chance of stock market success.

These products are touted by the world’s greatest investor, Warren Buffett.  And they’re supported by a large contingent of Nobel Prize winning economists.  But does the average financial advisor or bank representative want you buying these products?  No way!  They will do whatever they can to keep you away from index funds—while ensuring that they keep their personal gravy trains flowing.

Ivy League finance and economics professors from Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Wharton all agree.  No academic study refutes it.  But those who sell financial products want to treat you like mushrooms: stuck in the dark, and covered with….smelly fertilizer (for lack of a better expression).  Stepping away from this self-serving industry is important for investors seeking wealth on middle class salaries.

Millionaire Teacher will, in an entertaining fashion, clearly explain what index funds are, while presenting the evidence that supports them.  Andrew Hallam used them to become a millionaire on a teacher’s salary, and you can do the same.  He also pokes fun at the financial service industry’s strategies that are intended to keep you in the dark.

You can beat 90 percent of professional investors over your lifetime by creating portfolios of index funds, and you won’t have to spend more than 60 minutes a year on your investment decisions.  You won’t have to watch the stock market; you won’t have to read financial magazines; and you won’t have to watch financial-based television.  You can live your life, the way you want to live it, and over the long term, you’ll beat the investment returns of almost everyone you know, without putting any effort into it.

Hallam also demonstrates how people should think about stock market uncertainty and volatility.  If you really want to make money in the stock market, you have to embrace stock market swings.  Especially if you’re young (or more than five years from your retirement age) a dropping stock market is actually your friend.  As Warren Buffett suggests, it’s important to be greedy when others are fearful, and fearful when others are greedy.  Doing so can ensure that you make large investment profits.

Andrew Hallam used investors’ fear to grow wealthy, thanks to Buffett’s philosophy—and you can too.

If you’re curious about how much money has been made in the stock market, this might give you an idea.  If you invested just $10,000, thirty years ago, in the average world stock, you would have roughly $174,000 today.  That includes the drumming that the stock markets took in 2008/2009.  And that’s the AVERAGE world stock!  That isn’t looking back in time and showing you the returns of a specific, stock market rocket like Microsoft or Apple.  Turning $10,000 into $174,000 over 30 years is what the AVERAGE world stock would have done for you.  That’s an overall return of more than 1,600 percent, for the AVERAGE world stock.

But most people who started investing 30 years ago didn’t make anything close to that.  Not even close.  Instead, their investment returns play more like a sad country song, at best, and like a tale of a disastrous massacre, at worst.  Why?  Generally, it’s because most people try to follow get-rich-quick strategies, following hyper-active brokers’ advice, while hidden fees and silly decisions erode most of their money.

Such hidden fees ensure that more than 90 percent of investors (including investment professionals) underperform the returns of the average world stock over a lengthy period of time.  Hallam will show you how to beat the pants off most investment professionals (as he has) without taking large risks.

The world needs to ensure that financial educations become mandatory in schools.  Doing so will ensure that most people learn to avoid the damaging financial service industry, which largely preys on people’s innocence.  Until that day happens, Andrew Hallam hopes that Millionaire Teacher, The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School will fill the void.

After all, you have only one life to live.  Don’t let your lack of financial knowledge deprive you.

Pick up a copy of Millionaire Teacher today, for you and your loved ones.  You and your family deserve it.

1. Nu2this says:

Congratulations! I can hardly wait to get my copy from Amazon.

2. Thanks Nu2this!

I look forward to hearing what you think!

3. DIY Investor says:

"You and your family deserve it". How true.

4. Congratulations Andrew! Well deserved to say the least.

Looking forward to getting my book. 🙂

TWC

5. Think Dividends says:

Congrats Andrew! I ordered my copy even though I don't practice what you preach!

6. Chris The Truck Driv says:

Hi Andrew, Super awesome! I going crazy waiting for America's release Of Millionaire Teacher…In the Mean time I gonna stay on the path and keep investing In Vanguard Index funds: VTI and VTTHX and take advantage of the lows and buy more + reinvest all my dividends! Listen to Andrew everybody and become wealthy! See you all Later- Chris the Truck Driver

7. MoneyCone says:

Congrats Andrew! My best wishes!

8. woodes34 says:

Congratulations Andrew! I'm looking forward to reading it! Please present at EARCOS this year! I'll be happy to promote you to all I know.

• Thanks Woodes!

I look forward to going back to EARCOS again.

And I'm keen to hear what you think of the book. I'm amazed at how well received it has been at my own school. I brought copies of the book up to Singapore American School last week, and sold nearly 500 copies to teachers…..many of whom were buying multiple copies for their friends. Amazing! I was definitely humbled.

9. Thanks so much for all the support!

It's great to know that we have such a fabulous blogging community. You guys rock!

And let's not forget our truck driving friend! Thanks Chris!

10. Mandy says:

Congrats Andrew! Looking forward to get my copy 🙂

11. Andrew: congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

I can't wait to read my copy! 🙂

12. Sam says:

Hi Andrew, I just picked up your book. I'm still in the army until early next year but I've always been keen to start going into making investments as early as possible. Excellent guide for a clueless 20 year old like me! Any upcoming talks you'll be giving in Singapore?

Regards,

Sam

13. Hey Sam!

I'm glad you like the book!

I do have a couple of talks lined up at some schools, and then I'll be speaking at Borders in Kuala Lumpur soon. Fortunately, that store isn't owned by the Borders chain!

I know that you aren't an expat, but if you scroll below the "Expat investing" toolbar icon, you'll eventually get to a post that details how you can cheaply buy index funds in Singapore.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

14. Sam says:

Hi Andrew!

I did look through the concepts of asset allocation and starting out with DBS vickers. Alas, from what I read at their website, one needs to be 21 to open an account. But I'm about 6 months away from my 21st so I will read up more and decide which areas to invest in once i turn 21.

Judging from my young age and the fact that I only have an estimated amount of $2000 sgd (Paltry i know) to start off with, will a composition of:

20% Singapore Bond index (A35)

40% in the Singapore stock index (ES3)

40% in the world stock index (VT)

Should I just split my $2000 in that allocation?

And if I'm interested in individual stocks of various companies in the future , (Ie Macdonalds, starbucks), I will still consider them as part of my 'Stocks' composition once I want to balance my investments in the future?

Sorry for the barrage of questions from a novice. Your book and the blog have been eye-opening for the past 3 days. I'm just relieved that I will be starting out more informed.

(Just curious, do you own a car in Singapore? 😛 )

Regards,

Sam

• Hey Sam!

I do own a car in Singapore, but I didn't buy it! My wife bought it before we were married. If it was up to me, we wouldn't own a car here. As you know, they're ridiculously expensive!

15. Mark says:

Now that you are a millionaire, I assume you will be giving free books to teachers right? J/K

Look forward to hearing you talk at ISKL next week.

• Hey Mark,

I'm looking forward to coming to KL. Before I wrote my book, I gave away thousands of dollars worth of free books to teachers…over a two or three year period. I gifted so many free books that it started to really worry my wife. She's already concerned that one day, I'm going to give everything to a charity….forcing us to start all over again.

I will try to bring some books to KL, but if my wife notices that I didn't charge for them, she's probably going to string me up.

I'm looking forward to coming to your school—-not to sell books, but to offer advice that some of your teachers (and students) will find helpful.

16. Mark says:

I also remember seeing a story covered about a millionaire teacher in Canada on TV. I wonder if there are actually 2 millionaire teachers out there or that was you? I'll have to track down the story.

• Hey Mark,

I think there are plenty of millionaire teachers in Canada. I know of two or three, right off the top of my head: people I worked with during my time on Vancouver Island.

And I would imagine that your school has at least a dozen millionaires—considering the salaries at ISKL. They're probably going to be quiet about it though. The expatriate community is filled, mostly, with huge spenders. It's the nature of the beast. And it creeps up on expat teachers at high paying schools like ISKL and SAS. Those with more than a million dollars would find themselves out of step with their community if they shared how much money they had.

On another note, a million dollars at the end of a career is worth less than a teacher's pension in Canada. But unfortunately, few expat teachers amass a million dollars.

Back to millionaire teachers in Canada….there are plenty of millionaire plumbers, electricians and mechanics in Canada and the U.S. as well. Obviously, it's a minority, but there are still quite a few of them. It's not how much money you make that counts. It's what you do with what you make.

Unlike me, most millionaires don't trumpet their net worth. I'm not comfortable doing it either, but it does give me a dash of credibility. There are teachers at my school who have more money than I do. I know of at least two, personally. But they're quiet about their wealth. Having said that, they are some of my biggest supporters, when I'm out trying to educate others, and I really appreciate their quiet, private encouragement.

17. Ken says:

Hi

I would like to buy the book, I learn a lot just by reading your posts and comment.

Is it sold at MPH bookstore?

18. Hey Gus,

British expatriates in SE Asia shouldn't be using Vanguard UK as an option. One of the nice things about being a (non American) expat is that you don't have to pay taxes in your home country. That said, if you invested with Vanguard UK, you would end up paying capital gains taxes on the money you made.

I am not familiar with your Malaysian options, but I do know this:

You could open a brokerage account with DBS Vickers, here in Singapore. You would take a trip to Singapore, ask to open a "Trading account giving you access to U.S. stocks" and you could build a diversified account of exchange traded index funds.

True, you would have to wire money to this account whenever you chose to invest. You would also have to pay a commission for each purchase, and there's no automatic deposit. However, each purchase is just $29, so if you wait until you have a decent amount of money to deposit each time (say $10,000 at a time per index/ETF purchase) your commissions would (as an overall percentage) be extremely low.

Here's the link that could help you further, and if you have other questions, feel free to ask me in the comments section below the following link:

If you can share this with your British friends in KL, I think they'll find this really helpful.

19. Ken says:

Hey Andrew,

i am halfway thru reading your book, where i picked up useful knowledge in aiding me planning my financial path.

i am 20 this year, and i'm planning to go into etfs. i have a few thousands on hand and i'm planning to buy DBS STI ETF as it is more affordable with its 100 lot size. i 've read that u recommend investing in STI bond and world index stock market, but both of them have a minimum lot size of 1000 which i find will be better to invest when i have more capital.

hence, i'm wandering if i should invest a lump sum into the DBS STI ETF or do dollar cost averaging, as i have already set aside 6k for investments.

• Hey Ken,

I suppose it's up to your comfort level, but a lump sum in the STI index would probably be a great idea right now, especially considering how far it has recently fallen. Don't worry if it falls further. You are going to be more interested in how much you can generate from it (over 30 years) in capital appreciation and dividends. I don't believe that smart investors should look at short periods of 5 years or less. Just keep buying it, and adding capital to the others as you earn more money. You have made a great decision Ken, at a young age. And I absolutely take my hat off to you. Congratulations!

• Ken says:

Hey Andrew,

As you recommended it will be better to include the total stock market index, e.g. VT that is traded on the NYSE. I would like to know what complications(for e.g taxes.) will there be for a singaporean trader in singapore.

Cheers

• Hi Ken,

No complications for owning the index. Witholding tax will come off at the source on dividends, but you won't have to file anything. If the index makes 10% in a year, you would net 9.4% after all taxes, assuming an 8% capital gain (tax free) and a 2% dividend, which the IRS would take roughly 0.6% of. Some of my other world readers will drool when they see how simple and low taxed it would be for Singaporeans, considering that there's no capital gains taxes to pay….ever.

• Ken says:

Many thanks for your patience and guidance,

I take a long look back at how the STI performs against VT & S&P 500. From what i see the STI returns are very much lower. Do correct me if it is not the case.

cheers

• Hey Ken,

The STI dividends are a lot higher, so make sure you calculate them as well.

If I were to buy a single, first world market index, and gamble on it doing well in the future, I would likely choose the first world market with the WORST ten year historical return, not the best ten year historical return. Over the long haul, most developed market indexes perform roughly the same, when reinvesting dividends over 25 years plus. If you seek to buy only the top performing country indexes over the past decade (and that remained your strategy going forward) then your results would likely be very poor. I know…it's counter-intuitive, isn't it?

Glad I could help,

20. Kirk says:

Hi,

I was in your workshop at EARCOS in Malaysia last year. It was fantastic! We are ready to move to an index fund investment portfolio and I need to find an advisor in Shanghai to get us started. I am a US citizen and my wife is Canadian. Our current fund is with Friends in the Jersey Isles. Do you know of anyone I could contact here in Shanghai?

• Hey Kirk,

As a U.S. Citizen, your best bet is going to be going with a company like Assetbuilder. They're based in Texas, but they recognize the rip-offs that U.S. expats are facing and they've opened their doors to help. They build portfolios of index funds for Americans, but you will need to give them a U.S. address. It's OK that you live overseas but they will require a U.S. address for the record.

Going with Vanguard has historically been a great option for expat Americans, but they have recently made opening accounts with them very difficult–so it's going to be much easier to take the Assetbuilder route.

Go with Assetbuilder, and then share your experience with the other Americans you work with. It's a shame that so many of them have likely been sucked into Friends Provident, but at least there's a far better option available.

Here's the website: http://www.assetbuilder.com

And if you want to open an account, you might want to email a guy named Wesley directly: wesleys@assetbuilder.com

You'll find that he's really helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Kirk says:

Hi,

How about for my wife, who is a Canadian citizen? We are declared non-resident and our off-shore funds with Friends are in her name.

• You could start by looking at your local Citibank, and checking to see if they have a brokerage arm. Don't hire a broker or an advisor. Just see if you can open a "trading account" that will give you access to the New York Stock Market. The NYSE would be like your supermarket, you can virtually buy anything from there.

If you cannot find a brokerage that will give you this access, you could make a personal trip to Singapore and open an account with DBS Vickers. A number of teachers from Vietnam have already done this. You would have to wire your money to Singapore when you invest, and it won't be as convenient as other options, but you can build a portfolio of exchange traded index funds, and there wouldn't be any capital gains taxes to pay—ever. You would pay a 30% witholding tax on your dividends, which is minor in the big picture. Most of your future growth will come from capital appreciation, not dividends. If you average 10% annually, about 8% of that will be from capital gains, with the other 2% from dividends. You'll pay a witholding tax on those dividends (the IRS takes it at source, so you don't have to file anything). If you make 10% before taxes, then post tax, your return would be 9.4%. That has to be the sweetest deal in the world. And best of all, you could repatriate to Canada, bring your millions with you, and the Canadian government will just smile. No penalty. From that day onwards, of course, you would have to pay Canadian taxes on your gains, but hey, you'd get health care, so it would likely be worth it. Legally, of course, only your wife could open this account. It would have to be considered her money.