The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing Has Just Been Released On Kindle

global-expat-book-250x

My new book, The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing is available for download now on Kindle.

I hope you enjoy it… and find it helpful!

Cheers, Andrew

The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing – Kindle Edition

P.S. Don’t forget to leave your review on Amazon!

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (2nd Ed. Wiley 2017) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and the Comments Policy.

1. Sean says:

Oops…one more point!

In your book you mentioned that Vanguard often drop their prices.
    I can happily report that in the past few weeks Vanguard dropped the TER for VEUR from 0.15% to 0.12% and VUSA from 0.10% to 0.07%.

2. Lynx says:

My pre ordered kindle copy of your latest book was delivered early and I read it over the weekend. Great book for a beginning investor. It walks through all the steps and provides a clear path to invest. I was however a bit disappointed you did not include a profile on a ‘global investor’. What I mean is a person who is from a country that has no developed stock market and are looking to invest for their future retirement. I came up with my own solution by using a global stock market index and a global bond market index in addition to a high yield savings. In this situation, I am not sure what the currency bias should be though.

Great read over all.

• Hi Lynx,

Thanks for the comment. By the way, where are you from?

What you could easily do is this:

Build your portfolio with a global stock index, a European bond index and a Canadian bond index. You could likely open an account with Saxo Capital markets or Interactive Brokers. And you could pull the ETF tickers from my book. This would give you full global exposure. I had some portfolio examples, in the book, for people who were convinced they weren’t moving back to their home countries. For them, I made the portfolios as broad as possible. I think you could do the same.

• Lynx says:

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I am from the Caribbean. Our local currency is pegged to the US dollar so I thought a dollar based bond strategy would be most effective. The Vanguard world index is what I have allocated for the equity exposure and I am looking for an option for a bond index. I don’t like the thought of paying the IRS estate taxes but need to explore the alternatives a bit more with the currency exchange issue.

Thanks,

Lynx

3. Lynx says:

Thank you for that. I will look into adding this product for my bond exposure.

4. Florin says:

Hello Andrew,
    I really enjoyed your first book, “Millionaire teacher” and although I am still far away from being a millioanire, it totally changed my way of thinking and investing. So thank you very much for that, I really appreciate it. Now, my question is, since I live in Canada (still 🙂 ), should I read your new book, maybe to get a few good ideas?

Florin

5. Elan says:

As a lifelong expat, I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve only just learned of you and of this book, the contents of which I am in great need!
    Are you planning an updated version any time soon? I’m not a Kindle user, others have noted it contains updates. If there is not an updated print version planned for the next few months, I’ll buy the original version, but had to ask first.
    Many thanks!

6. Richard says:

Fully enjoyed reading your book. Thanks for sharing your knowlege and writing in an informative engaging style.

I have a number of questions that I had not seen asked for here in the forum and wonder if you could help on:

– Regarding the Permanent portfolio and investing in gerneral I could find any mention to property investing. I wonder how you look at this when compared to Gold, Stocks, Bonds and Cash?
    – Regarding investing with a broker, is there any value in setting a stop loss (for when things may go South) ?
    – Can you explain about ETCs and ETNs? Is this anything much we should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Richard

• toony says:

Richard,
      Andrew wrote a bit about property here:
      Properties are generally less ‘risky/volatile’ than stocks (hence you can expect slightly higher return in the long run, aka risk premium). Bonds are generally less risk/volatile than property -> lower expected return.
      Stop loss is not recommended due to additional costs, ‘flash crash’, monitoring portfolio etc. All you need to do is note your asset allocation and simply rebalance as the market drops/rises. Rebalancing tells you what to buy/sell, when to do it and how much – something a ‘stop loss’ has no chance of achieving!
      Exchanged Traded (C)ommodities and (N)otes are very specific financial products/debt instruments. If you don’t have a VERY strong understanding of these products, NEVER invest in them (golden rule of investing).
      If you did know these products well, you would realize how bad they can be (compared to a broad ‘vanilla’ index fund) and wouldn’t touch ETC/ETN with a 10-foot pole! 😉