Why Travel When The World Is Getting Scarier?

andrew-pele

When my wife and I describe our upcoming tandem trip, many people say, “Be careful! The world is crazier than it ever used to be!”

I guess a California postal worker could gun us down.

A Mexican drug lord could bury us in a sandbox.

A Jihadist terrorist could blow up our bike.

It could happen. But the world isn’t getting more dangerous.

Instead, I fear the media. The media promotes paranoia. It supports fear.

We have data to prove that the world has never been safer.

Check out my AssetBuilder article.

1. valferdinandcaro says:

Nice article… soon we’ll be having our our mini-retirement…

2. Boba says:

thanks for being there. I moved to Singapore a year ago following my husband and we plan to stay here for quite a while. I am Italian and have an interesting sum to invest; I bought and read hungrily both your books but wondering whether the Italian Expat could have clearer suggestions about investing options. I am looking forward to worry about my investments once/twice a year and I am not looking for spectacular and risky business … My Bank is DBS and, although done nothing so far, I have opened a Vickers account as well. I will definitely appreciate your thoughts about my “case”.

• Hi Boba,

I think, as an Italian expat, you could follow the portfolio that I outlined in table 21.6, page 276. It seems tailor made for you.
      But you would need to open an account with TD Direct International, Saxo Capital Market or Interactive Brokers to enable you to buy such ETFs. DBS Vickers only provides access to the U.S. and Canadian stock exchanges.

• Boba says:

Thank you Andrew, I am amazed by your kindness and availability. I saw the “Viva l’Italia” portfolio you outlined but I wondered whether investing on a Vanguard Fund I will eventually be subject to the limit of 60,000$ investment you explained triggers some consequences with the US taxes. Additionally, since we are planning to stay in Singapore for long, I am thinking about investing also in something non Italy related (ES3.SI ?).

• Boba says:

Have a good day.

• Hi Boba,

The only Vanguard funds that trigger U.S. estate taxes are those that are domiciled in the United States. None of the ETFs that I listed in my book are domiciled in the U.S., except for those that I listed in my chapter for Americans. Vanguard Canada, Vanguard Australia, and Vanguard UK’s ETFs are not U.S. domiciled.

3. Patel Shoeb says:

Nice Post !!!

4. Robin says:

Ok Andrew
    I really believe that the world is getting safer. I was in Morocco during the Danish cartoon issue in 2006 and there was no issue at all in the country for me as a traveler. What are you sources for your opinion on the safety of traveling etc.
    Cheers
    Robin

5. Jonathan says:

Hi All

According to Vanguards website, VTS is domiciled in the US. This would mean it would be subject to any estate taxes, correct?

Jono