TD Direct International’s Low Fuss Investing For Expats

money-graph

There are no secrets to smart investing.

Best practices are simple.  Diversify your assets and keep costs low.  Low cost funds, over time, beat high cost funds. Don’t look to yesterday’s winners when trying to pick funds. Morningstar, the largest fund rating company in the world, says that a fund’s expense ratio is the best predictor of future performance.

The lower the expense ratio, the better.

TD Direct International is a brokerage based in Luxembourg.  It’s growing more popular with non-American expats (Americans cannot open accounts with them). Investors can purchase ETFs (exchange traded index funds) at minimal cost. I explained which ETFs investors of different nationalities could buy in my book, The Global Expatriates Guide To Investing.

For investors who don’t want the hassle of ETFs (they charge commissions to buy and sell and the dividends can’t be automatically reinvested) there’s the option of index mutual funds. TD Direct International has a good selection of stock market index funds.

But they don’t offer any bond market indexes.  That’s a shame.  One day, let’s hope that they do.Those wanting to build a low cost portfolio could opt for an actively managed bond fund, until TD Direct International offers bond index funds.

There are no commissions to buy any of TD Direct International’s funds.  There are no commissions to sell them after a 6-month period. There’s an early redemption fee of 50 euros to sell before six months are up.

Below, I’ve listed two hypothetical investment portfolios that people could build using TD Direct International. Each portfolio assumes a moderate risk profile.

The first is for European investors who may one day repatriate to Europe (if they live abroad).

The second is for investors who don’t know where they’ll eventually retire.

Portfolio for Europeans

Portfolio for Global Citizens

Fund

Invests In

Allocation %

Expense Ratio

Vanguard SRI Global Stock Fund Investor Euro Shares

Global Stocks:  Including U.S., European, Asian Pacific and Emerging Market Stocks

60%

0.30%

Degroof Bonds EMU Quants B Acc

European bonds

20%

0.64%

Fidelity Funds – US Dollar Bond Fund A-Acc-USD

U.S. Bonds

20%

1.15%

1. Rudolf says:

Hello Andrew,
    I like your post on TD direct international. I have been researching there fees and structures and they seem to be the best option if you want to stay away from US brokers. However, do you think it will be wise to rather use interactive brokers until you get to the $60 000 cap before switching to TD direct. Since IB’s annual fees are considerably less than TD. IB’s annual charges are $120 whereas TD’s are 180 euro’s. Moreover, IB only charges a small percentage to buy shares as you know but TD charges commissions of between 15 and 50 euros depending on the exchange.

Regards

Rudolf

2. Jen says:

Tx for the article Andrew-I am going to go with the 2nd one. I hope I am not being to-diverse-by holding all my ETFs at saxo and then going for index funds with td direct. I plan to contribute to both on alternating months. I also have an ETF/bond portfolio in South Africa which I,ve had there for over 10yrs and have just contributed to monthly via debit order and sort of–forgot about. I am taking your book back on holiday for my family to read.

3. Janine says:

Hi Andrew. Just finished reading your book. Thank you for giving us expats some information we can actually use.

I have about 10,000 euros to invest and I have been procrastinating between opening a TD Waterhouse account in Canada and a TD International account in Luxenburg. I am a Canadian non tax resident living in Spain but have read that it is possible to open an account with TD Waterhouse in Canada to buy ETFs. The only thing that is holding me back from opening the cheaper Canadian account is that it might jeapordize my non resident status. Any thoughts on this?

• Janine,

To open the account in Canada, you would be taking (very, very slightly) more risk, as it pertains to your residency status. The extra risk might hardly be measurable. But for my personal money, if I can have it overseas, that’s my personal choice. There’s no risk then. The amount that you save by having it in Canada is very little indeed. Your choice, of course.

4. Schalk says:

Hi Andrew, I have been using TD Direct and your suggested allocation for South African ex-pat investors since reading your book. Thanks! I very concerned about TD Direct’s online security and have not had much luck communicating it to them in an effective manner. Saxo definitely has better login security than TD Direct especially given the optional two-factor authentication. For larger accounts, the improved security Saxo offers may justify the additional fees.

In summary (from a digital security point of view) we hate the fact that they request specific characters from your password at login and suggest everybody bitterly complains for them to fix this on the following grounds:

1. It is guaranteed that the financial site is storing passwords incorrectly, in the clear, without hashing or key stretching of any kind. Financial site gets hacked? Your password is out in the wild. For many people who are uninformed about passwords, they reuse passwords, it’s a terrible security practice.

2. It is always less secure to only give a portion of your password at login.

3. It’s less convenient for people who are doing the right things like using password managers with complex and non-repeating passwords.

It’s unacceptable that financial institutions store passwords in the clear.

• John says:

Agree fully on the security point. I could not even log in to my account 1/3 of the time. IB’s security is best, higher levels of security as the account size grows. TD also can not handle bonds (except in ETF or mutual fund format) which is odd.

5. Schalk says:

In the article you say “But they don’t offer any bond market indexes. That’s a shame. One day, let’s hope that they do.”

Using the TD Direct Fund Selector and filtering on “Vangaurd Group (Ireland) Limited” I see the following: Vanguard US Government Bond Index Inv USD

Why do you prefer the Fidelity Funds – US Dollar Bond Fund A-Acc-USD fund above the Vanguard fund?

• Hi Schalk,

These portfolios aren’t for Americans. As such, only (in my opinion) suitable bond funds would be those that don’t hold American bonds, but European bonds or international bonds. The price may or may not be listed in USD. But the entities within each bond that I listed in not American.

You bond index that you asked about is a U.S. government bond.

6. Angela Simpson says:

Have I read that right?

As Canadian expats, does this mean that we cannot buy (Canadian) bonds through TD International (Lux)? If not, what should we consider if we would like to have Canadian bond index exposure?

• Hi Angela,

I probably shouldn’t have written that article. It seems to be confusing people. I wrote that article about index mutual funds. You can still buy any ETF from TD Direct International, including any bond market ETF that you see listed in my book: Here’s link: http://bit.ly/globalexpat

7. Caleb Gibbons says:

My overall positive experience is overshadowed by the shoddy security protocols which leads me to be “locked out” of my account on a weekly basis. Other solutions are available obviously and they could tier by account size and activity level to justify the higher cost (i.e. security token). No ability to trade or even custody bonds is also a negative I realized after trying to transfer bonds in. FX rates are also pants at 40 pips.Still some wood to chop. Dropped their 50bp charge on assets a while back, but a sharper pencil is required to really make market share strides.

8. David C. says:

Bought both of your books (especially liked Millionaire Teacher), and just got started with TD International as a result. I noticed you say in The Global Expatriate’s Guide to Investing that you owned 3 Horizon Swap-Based ETFs – HXT, HXS and HBB. Is this still the case? I’m interested in what the allocation of your personal portfolio would be exactly, if you’re open about such things. This is coming from a fellow Canadian expat.

9. Bryan says:

Hi Andrew.

After reading many of your articles I was about to sign up for a TD International account, but being a Canadian expat living in the Philippines I was not allowed to open an account due to the country I’m in.

With TD not an option for me (or is it…?), which of the two (Saxo or DBS) be my next choice?

• Hi Bryan,

Here’s an easier option. You could open an account with Interactive Brokers. Once you leave the Phillippines, you could transfer the ETFs to an account at TD Direct International.

If you don’t like this option, the account with Saxo Capital Markets will likely be easier to open than DBS Vickers.

10. Greg says:

I’ve enjoyed reading your second book, and look forward to using the advice you’ve given. Being a Canadian non-resident living in China, I was most interested in using TD Direct Int. as my institution of choice. According to their website, they have inactivity fees…
    “€45 per quarter if no trades; €25 per quarter if 1-11 trades in quarter; none if 12+ trades in quarter”
    Am I reading this correctly, because a high number of trades seems to go against the philosophy you write about (and I agree with!).
    Greg

• Greg,

The bank wants you to trade. That’s how they make money.

But this isn’t about making money for the brokerage. You must exhibit best practices with your money.

11. Otto says:

As a Canadian teaching in China with a TD Waterhouse account– I understand there is a 15% tax on dividends– is this tax deducted from account and submitted by bank or do I have to file income tax return? Also, would I have to pay tax in China on dividends or capital gains tax?

• Otto,

The 15% dividend witholding tax would come off at source. No need to file taxes. Nor will you have to pay capital gains taxes if your account is domiciled in a country where such taxes aren’t levied.

12. Zori says:

I am Mexican leaving in Colombia. I currently have Ameritrade account in US, but it has over 60k there and I would like to open non US base account. Please, could you advise if TD direct is the right choice for me?

13. Valerie says:

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your 2nd book and can’t wait to follow the sound advice. Just want to be re-assured that I understood correctly. We’re Canadian expats with an E*TRADE account in the US just shy of $60k. For the past 5 years we have given up 30% in NRWT on our dividends because we didn’t know any better. Transferring our existing US shares from E*TRADE to either of TD Waterhouse or TD Direct would not translate to escaping the US estate tax for our heirs if the market value exceeds $60k, right? We would need to sell-off our E*TRADE holdings and re-purchase the US-shares listed on the TMX. Additionally, we intend to follow the suggested portfolio for a Canadian. We seem to have muddled along all these years with our investments but after reading your book wish I had stumbled upon it sooner. Can’t wait to share it with family. Thank you!

• Hi Valerine,

I’m glad you found the book to be helpful. Once you own shares that trade on the Canadian market (as suggested in my book) you can rest easy. Your heirs won’t be saddled with U.S. estate taxes when you die, and your dividend witholding taxes would drop to 15%–– or 0%, if you choose the horizon swap based ETFs (again, listed in my book).

14. Chuck Dunlap says:

Hello Andrew,

I recently expanded my portfolio from a two fund portfolio consisting of Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (75%) and Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund (25%) to a four fund portfolio consisting of Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (60%), Vanguard Total Bond Market Index (20%), Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (15%), and Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund (5%) to improve my global diversification and my overall diversification. Each of these funds are Admiral Shares. I’ve read plenty of articles and books supporting the virtues of a 3 fund portfolio consisting of a domestic stock index fund, a domestic bond index fund, and an international stock index fund. However, I’ve been a bit surprised that there seems to be far fewer proponents of including an international bond fund in our investment portfolios. I am really interested in your thoughts on my 4 fund portfolio, including whether you think it’s reasonable to include the international bond fund in it. I’m a U.S. citizen residing in Austin, Texas.

Thanks,

Chuck

15. toony says:

Chuck

The addition of Int bond into a portfolio is definitely a hot topic among some professionals ever since Vanguard added it to their target funds

After reading the arguments by both sides, I personally believe adding international bonds to your 2/3/4-fund portfolio is not an optimal strategy for several key reasons:
    *Political risk – The US is much more stable than many other countries.
    *higher expense ratios – hedging is required
    *Longer duration – than your TBM
    *Relatively weaker credit quality
    *More complexity – more moving parts to buy/sell/rebalance
    When constructing a portfolio, a golden rule is that you should only add additional funds if it benefits the portfolio by either:
    a) increasing return for same risk/volitility or
    b) reducing volitility while maintaining same return.
    Adding Int equity to a portfolio makes sense as the enormous diversification benefit (higher expected returns for similar risk – the only ‘free’ lunch avail) with only minor increase in costs.
    International bonds diversification benefit has negligible benefits to returns, but actually increase portfolio volitility slightly (opposite to what you want bonds for) and costs more to own and run! Hence most people do not use international bonds – none of the portfolio in Andrew’s books ever includes Int bonds, iirc 🙂

Ps. Having a 5% Int bond in portfolio is insignificant to returns but adds 25% more workload – consider at least 10% or remove completely is the advice I have read on this topic.

16. James says:

I am looking for a way to invest US dollars (a simple spread of ETFs as you outline in your book).

I’m a Canadian / UK expat currently living in Guatemala (tourist visa – not residency).

I contacted TDDI but they informed me they are not able to open accounts for Guatemalan residents (I’m a non-resident for tax purposes in Can / UK – haven’t lived either place for years). I still have a correspondence address (family member) that I use in the UK for my British GBP bank account (I’ve held it for more than a dozen years).

I also have an investment account in the UK but I’d prefer to keep the USD as USD as I earn USD … and the investment group in the UK don’t allow clients to hold USD currency. I’d even thought to try and transfer all my shares / investment trusts to TDDI to be able to manage everything in one place, have multiple currency accounts, etc

I plan to return to Canada in a few years but will not likely stay for more than 5 years before heading off somewhere else.

Any advice?

Thanks.

• Hi James,

For starters, you have to consider the fact that a responsible investment portfolio may look like it’s price in USD but it will have exposure to a variety of markets and currencies if it’s truly, globally diversified. For example, I could buy a Vanguard international stock market index priced in USD, but it actually has zero exposure to the U.S. dollar. The only concern you should have with currency denominations (and it’s a slight one) is in the currency spread you will pay if you exchange one currency for another. See if Saxo Capital Markets will allow you to open a brokerage account. Then build a portfolio of ETFs, such as what I described in my book, The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing. Whatever you do, don’t invest in a UK based brokerage unless you want to pay capital gains taxes. Here’s a link to my book: https://www.amazon.com/Global-Expatriates-Guide-Investing-Millionaire/dp/1119020980/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F17XM253THRM8ZY4KXR6

17. James says:

Hi Andrew.

I’ll check Saxo. I’ve sent a reply to TDDI to double check their policy.

I understand what you’re saying about diversification. I do like the idea of having an account with multiple currencies in order to hold cash without having to exchange to EUR / GDP, etc

Too late on the UK-based brokerage … I already hold significant investments there. After reading UK tax man website, looks as though non-residents are not liable for capital gains tax, as long as they don’t move back to the UK within 5 years of selling. In any case, I bought as a long-hold strategy.

It gets complicated bouncing around the world and not being sure where or if we’ll ever end up somewhere “forever”.

Many thanks for your help!

18. Mauricio Moura da Silva says:

Had the chance to watch your talk last Sunday at Dubai College, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us and helping to grow awareness in region about the practices of the so-called “financial advisers” we get around here.

There’s one thing about this post though that I’d like to ask: I tried to find the funds you suggest for global citizens and I couldn’t find any of them in TD’s own ETF selector (http://int.tddirectinvesting.com/iframe/etf-selector).

Are you sure those funds are available with TD or are they just examples you found with another broker?
    Perhaps they were available at the time but not anymore?

Thanks!

• Hi Mauricio,

The funds that are listed in this story are not ETFs. They are index mutual funds. Such indexes cost a bit more than ETFs. But they can be purchased without paying commissions. Dividends can also be reinvested for free.

• Mauricio Moura da Silva says:

Thanks for the prompt response!
        And I see, somewhat relieved it was just me being thick!
        Are there any (financial) advantages of going with these instead of picking similar ETFs?

Let’s say:
        Vanguard FTSE All-World ETF (EUR) VWRL (Ongoing fee 0.25%)
        iShares Euro Government Bond 3-5yr (EUR) IBGX (Ongoing fee 0.20%)
        iShares US Aggregate Bond USD Dist (USD) IUAG (Ongoing fee 0.25%)
        (* They seem similar to me, don’t know if I’m missing something)

Will the lower ongoing fees offset the advantages that the mutual funds might have in a initial moment over time?
        And should I worry about IAUG if it goes beyond 60k USD (because of tax returns)?

Thanks again,
        Mauricio

19. Robert says:

Read your first book and it really educated me to the whole investment world for which I give my sincere thanks. I have just purchased your second book but haven’t yet started it. I am British, 29 years old living in Dubai with no idea in what country I will end up but most probably the UK. Currently, I am invested on Hargreaves Lansdown’s platform in the UK with index funds (not ETFs):

Vanguard FTSE All-share UK – 20%
    Vanguard Developed World ex-UK – 25%
    Vanguard US All Index – 25%
    Vanguard UK Gov Bond Index – 30%

Two questions:
    1) I am puzzled by the difference/advantage being promoted for ETFs over index funds; and
    2) I saw your comment in relation to capital gains tax that would be applied to a UK platform like Hargreaves Lansdown – which platform would you recommend using, would this need to change if I moved around the world and if I moved back to the UK would I still be liable for capital gains tax?

Many thanks,
    Robert

• Robert,

If you want a truly efficient portfolio and to minimize any (and all) tax complications, build a portfolio of ETFs offshore. If you follow the strategy in my expat book, you won’t have to pay any capital gains taxes and your non-residency status will be cleaner. I didn’t think I said index mutual funds weren’t as good as ETFs. But in your case, you won’t have access to offshore index mutual funds (if that’s what you want) unless you purchase these specific products directly from Luxembourg’s TD Direct International. Enjoy the expat book. There’s plenty of good stuff in there. http://andrewhallam.com/2016/04/td-direct-internationals-low-fuss-investing-for-expats/

20. Lee says:

Hello Andrew. Just bought your first book and it’s great. Quick question. I’m currently a Canadian living in Japan. I just opened an account with Interactive Brokers. I set it up so I can only buy non-Japanese ETFs. Of course my question is, since IB is American based, am I going to have to deal with a US holdings tax as well as a potential double taxation on yearly dividends in both the US and Japan? Or do I only have to pay a tax on the dividends in Japan? I read that it might be better for me to invest in European domiciled Vanguard funds. Sorry if I come across as clueless. Cheers,Lee

21. Douglas says:

After reading your book over a year ago, i have opened an account with TD and followed you advice. i am very happy with this choice. Unfortunately i just recieved the news that TD International has now become Internaxx and has been acquired by a private investment firm JC Flowers & Co. I would like your opinion on this and do you believe this is still a safe investment vehicle and place to invest my retirement fund and build over the next 20 years or so? In addition, since i see the level of insurance (EUR 100,000) is the same, do you ever support splitting investments across 2 banks? e.g. Internaxx and Saxo? Thanks Douglas

22. Douglas says:

Thanks Andrew,

I’m also wondering what’s your opinion on JC Flowers? I was more secure in the knowledge a big reputable Canadian Bank was behind by brokerage platform. Now it’s an unknown (to me anyway) private fund. Since you have supported TD and Saxo in the past and in your book, your opinion on Internaxx would be really appreciated. Is this just as safe?

Thanks
    Douglas

23. David Lees says:

I’m a UK expat living in Costa Rica for the last 2 years and in Australia 8 years prior to that. No specific plans to move back to UK/Europe, but possible.
    I tried signing up with TDI but they don’t accept accounts for residents of Costa Rica. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks

24. Mark says:

Hi Andrew. I have found this site extremely helpful. I am a UK citizen non-resident and move countries a lot on contract work. I am currently living in South Africa. Before I left the UK, I was using low-cost UK investment platforms, which were great, but understand that now I am a UK non-resident I cannot use these anymore. My investments will fund my retirement and I will move back to the UK, where I would like to access my funds. I also keep a UK bank account.

Can you recommend any low-cost platforms (preferably based in the UK) which would suit my needs? I only save $25,000 annually so realise that I am not eligible for a number of platforms.

25. Dave says:

Hello Andrew,
    I have both your books and had the chance to meet you while you were giving a talk at my previous school in SG. Thanks for being a reasonable voice and providing such an accessible perspective to investing!

I hope that you can help with this decision early in my investing career. I am Canadian long-time expat currently in Thailand. I have about $100 000 saved up and ready to invest. I’m 35, single and not sure where I plan on retiring but SEA is a strong possibility. I plan on following one of your suggested plans, I just don’t know what brokerage to use, I have narrowed it down to these three. Two are straight from your book but the third one is more recent and muddies the water a bit:

DBSVickers
    Pros: Tax haven and I already have a DBS bank account where most of my savings are parked.
    Cons: can’t think of any apart from possibly having to deal with Singaporean bureaucracy…

TD Direct International (now Internaxx)
    Pros: Tax haven
    Cons: ?

WealthBar
    Pros: in Canada
    Cons: in Canada
    (a pro in my view as I may end up repatriating to Canada, but it’s a con because of the small chance of jeopardizing my non-resident status if I don’t)

If I were to follow one of your low-cost index plans, investing each month, and re-balancing once a year, which of these three would you recommend?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

• Hi Janine and Dave,

I can’t give you the “best brokerage” option because overseas brokerages change their fees (slightly) all the time. So you might as well flip a coin. I like the ease of the Internaxx platform. As far as offshore brokerages go, it’s the easiest to use. If you want help, you could hire Mark Zoril for $96 a year to guide you through the process.
      If you really don’t think you have the emotional fortitude to build your own portfolio of indexes (even with Mark’s help) WealthBar would likely offer the best option.

And a special note to Janine….don’t sweat the small stuff. This isn’t worth blowing your brains over.

26. Janine says:

I have exactly the same question as Dave. A response would be greatly appreciated and save me from shooting my brains out!

27. Janine says:

Thanks so much Andrew. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

28. Berry Schrijen says:

Hi Andrew!

After reading your book (a real life-saver, literally!), I contacted DBS Vickers. I was told “To provide a better and more comprehensive online stock trading platform, DBS Group will invest more resources to strengthen the trading platform of DBS Bank. As such, DBS Vickers will cease the online account opening service for individual clients. All new online individual clients can switch to DBS Bank for online stock trading, wealth management and other banking services.”

Any idea whether this is correct? And if so, does ‘DBS Bank’ offer the same advantages as described in your book (‘DBS Wealth Management = DBS Vickers’)? At the same time, there was also a mention of 1) ‘DBS Treasures’ – min. capital: 1Mio HKD; if less than that monthly fee of 200HKD – and 2) DBS Wealth Management. I was not yet able to figure out whether ‘DBS Treasures = DBS Wealth Management’ or whether these are two separate things.

Appreciate your help!

29. Jen says:

Internaxx (td direct) once again refuses to open and account for me–I find this so odd and no after the 3 rd attempt and ending up feeling like some criminal I will stick completely with Saxo. Saxo is easy and fast–Internaxx (TD Direct) make it impossible for an expat who does get a utility to bill to their address and whose accommodation is not provided by work. I feel sooo frustrated by Internaxx—and if a brokerage platform can so consistently make someone feel like they they are not worth my time or money. Advice to others—-go with Saxo.

• Jen,

Much depends on your location. I wouldn’t give blanket advice to go with Saxo. It’s fine. But Internaxx is easy to open for many others, and it’s a far easier platform to use than Saxo’s. Each individual should choose what appears easiest for them.

30. Jen says:

You are right—but for me my experience is not to go with them–even though one is allowed to open from Qatar. It is the way I think in which I was treated which is in such stark contrast to Saxo.–and not just once. So my advise is—try Saxo first perhaps for ease if one has a circumstance like mine where no utility bill comes to your name and your residence is not provided by your work place. Such an experience could scare off a person trying DIY investing for the first time–because it is a scary thing to do if one has not done it before and might deter someone.