Millionaire Teacher Middle East Speaking Tour – 2017 January, February, March

On January 10th Pele and I will fly to Dubai to start a big Middle East speaking tour.

This is not a money making gig for us.  In fact, I have to keep reminding myself why it’s so important that I do this.

In the past, I haven’t brought books to my talks (with a one-time exception at the International School of Kuala Lumpur).  I never felt comfortable doing that.  I never wanted people to think that I do this for money.  But people keep asking me for books, so I’m starting to feel like a shmuck by not bringing them to talks.  I recently posted a question on my blog and on facebook.  “Should I bring books?  Almost everyone said I should.

So….I’ll ship some to the Middle East.  Hopefully, they’ll arrive before I get there.

Why would I do this if I won’t be making money?

I’m a teacher.  Teachers are wired a certain way.  We want to help people.  We want to try to make the world a little bit better.  Few people go into the financial services industry with the same professional motive.  Few Wall Street bankers say, “I want to make the world a better place.”  But that’s why we teach.

I want non-Americans to learn that they should not invest in expensive offshore pension.  The Middle East is a gold mine for unscrupulous advisors who sell these products.  If I can convince just one person, per talk, it will save that person tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars.  That will be worth my time.

I want Americans to learn how to invest on their own or how they could choose a worthy guide to help them.  It will also save them tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.  That’s definitely worth my time.

This my speaking schedule, as of December 16, 2016.  These venues are confirmed.  Others are pending.  If you would like me to speak at your school or business, this schedule will give you an idea where I’ll be.

For other bookings, please contact me through millionaireteacherspeaksATgmail.com.

andrew hallam

andrew hallam

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (Wiley 2011) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use.

1. Nicola Singleton says:

Hi Andrew – I see you will be in Cairo in March. We are interested in getting you to talk to our 160 foreign teaching staff at Midern English School Cairo. What is the story in terms of your fee and approach. How long are your sessions; and do you still have time available? You have come highly recommended from a colleague in Bucharest.

• Hi Nicola,

Thank you for your interest. As I mentioned above (or at least, in the link above) I don’t charge a fee. I only request local transportation to and from your school. I’ll be in Cairo, so that won’t be much. I also request acccommodation. We don’t mind staying with teachers.

I deliver 2 sessions. Each session is one hour long. Sometimes, I deliver one session on one day, followed by the second session the next day. Other times, schools prefer that I do them both at once.

One session deals with how much money expats should be saving/investing for their retirements. It’s a hands on session. Attendees bring laptops. Here’s a sample of what I go through. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM6vUdxzyuk

The second session shows what types of products or funds they should use. There are funds that benefit the salesperson, and there are funds that benefit the investor. I reveal this conflict of interest. I show investors how to DIY or how to find a decent financial advisor who who will build them a portfolio with the right kinds of funds.

My wife looks after the scheduling. It would be a mess if I did it. If you’re interested, please email her at millionaireteacherspeaksATgmail.com

Thanks Nicola

2. Jim says:

What is your opinion on the sell of TD to Interactive Investors? Do you know that firm?
    Best Regards,
    Jim

• Hi Jim,

Interactive Brokers is an excellent firm.

• Jim says:

They were sold to Interactive Investors and not Interactive Brokers. These are different firms right?

• Could you send me the news link to that info?

• Jim says:

Hi Andrew, Did you get a chance to look into this? Do you think it is good news?

• Jim says:

Hi Andrew, do you have any update/info on the sell of TD to Interactive Investors?
            Best Regards,
            Jim

• Hi Jim,

I don’t know anything about that firm. I have plenty on my plate, at the moment, but I’ll do my best to investigate when I have time. Short gut answer: my money is with TD Direct International. I’m not concerned at all.

• Jim says:

Hi Andrew, I am sorry for insisting. I understand that you are very busy. I will be looking forward of any update you have on this. It could make kind of an appendix to the book if the service changes I guess.
            Best Regards,
            Jim

• Jim,

The strange thing about international brokerages is that their service charges change all the time. Up, down, up, down. Fortunately, they are still low cost. But keeping up with their silly (however subtle) fee changes would be a waste of time.

In North America, service charges for discount brokerages have only been heading in one direction: consistently lower.

It’s impossible to keep updating the minor changes that these international brokers make. I recommend that you just select a brokerage and stick to it. Don’t fall for their silly games.

Your personal behaviour and your savings rate are much more important, once you’ve selected a low cost portfolio of ETFs to continue adding money to.

3. Mark says:

Dear Andrew,

I have been following you for the past 4 to 5 years and was a victim of the Zurich/Friends Provident vulture network we have in the middle east. I carried on with the Vista 7 years/Zenith 4 years policies up until August last year when I had the courage to put into practice what you have been teaching by taking all my money out and putting it into a TD brokerage account and follow the couch potato/British plan.

I was very wary of all financial advice and people trying to sell me things in the past but your book and website has given me a plan and great confidence to hopefully set myself and family up for the future. I also advise as many people to go out and buy your book and follow your website to try and spread the word. I detest unscrupulous financial sales people!

I would personally like to thank you for all your help and would like to know if anyone can attend your speaking tours in Dubai or do I have to register with the schools/financial companies you are visiting?

Many thanks and appreciate all your help over the years.

Mark.

4. Sasha says:

Have you considered coming to Tanzania to give a talk?

Sasha

5. Eli says:

Thanks for your book and ideas, How I have to apply for your speaking tours in Doha?.

Many thanks

Eli

6. Angela MacFarlane says:

I would like to attend one of your talks in Doha. Your schedule only lists the locations. What are the timings and are these open for anyone to attend?

• Hi Angela,

So far, none of the Doha-based schools are opening to the public. But I’ll be updating my website on this, in case any additional schools in Doha ask me to speak (and open the talk to the public).

Thanks for your interest!

7. John Jones says:

I will be attending at the ASD session in Doha. I also know parents and teachers at both Park House and Doha College and will be encouraging them to attend too. I have other friends who are not parents and who could also benefit from your views – is the Holiday Inn session open to the general public?

Regards

8. Index says:

Hi All,

I have a question for any global nomads using a couch potato model. Which bond ETFs are you using? I’m using this model and am interested to know which bond ETFs are being used by others.

Cheers – Index

9. Dao Migliore says:

How do I register to attend to one of your speaking tours in Doha? Can I attend to ASD school since my children enrolled there? Thanks

10. Lauren Smith says:

Hi Andrew, do you ever go to speak in schools in China? Also, we are new as expat teachers and are struggling to decide between investing in property or building a portfolio through stocks/bonds etc. Thanks, Lauren

11. Max says:

I’ve just read your Millionaire Teacher book – it’s fantastic – thank you. I’m in UK and planning to set up a portfolio using the Vanguard ETFs you recommend. Two questions, though:
    – Do you/have you recommended specific brokerages or platforms anywhere? If not (and I can understand why this might be impossible) do you know where a newbie investor could go to find out this sort of information?
    – Some platforms don’t seem to offer exactly the ETFs you recommend. Again, is there a reliable place for me to educate myself about the differences between e.g. the Vanguard UK Gilt UCITS ETF and the Vanguard UK Inflation-Linked Gilt Index Fund? I realise one is an index fund and one an ETF but not sure beyond that.

Many thanks,