Is This The World’s Simplest Investment Book?

When I wrote the first edition of my book, Millionaire Teacher, my publisher sent a copy to Financial Post writer, Jonathan Chevreau.

He tossed it aside. He didn’t want to read it.

“From where I sit,” he later wrote, “any career teacher who makes it to age 65 is already a millionaire, since the rest of us would need $1 million of capital in order to spin out an annual $50,000 from it. So my initial impression was that the very phrase ‘Millionaire Teacher’ was redundant.”

Read more at AssetBuilder.com

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (Wiley 2011) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use.

1. Jen says:

Andrew: could you write a book/article or something similar that is geared toward expats in their 40’s and 50’s. The reason I ask is–everything in investing seems to be abt time in the market. However many many thousands of expats are in their 40’s and 50’s with far less time than 20 something teacher. It is only more recently these issues are more prominent–but reading abt it all can make one think–it is too late for me. Over and over I hear that. We need something that gives also hope and courage to more mature investors.

• Jen

Thank you! You make some excellent points. I have mentioned situations (such as yours) in my talks. I can certainly write an article about this, pertaining to what I tell people. There have some uplifting options and perspectives to share. Do you mind if I profile you in the story? I could change your name to protect your identity if you want. Could you send me a short email, in response, to andrewhallam1970ATgmail.com?

Thanks Jen!

2. Vig Lacera says:

Great idea. Would love to read a piece with some optimistic perspectives for us 40-something expats who aren’t necessarily raking in big dough overseas (AND started investing later in life)….

3. Brian Hull says:

Looking forward to your advice for us 40 somethings. Thanks for asking this question Jen, I was just wondering the same thing the other day.

4. Dave says:

An article I’d really appreciate from you is about where to base the investments- offshore vs home country. I have investments (funds) in my home country (UK), as well as here in Hong Kong. I am unsure as the advantages or disadvantages of holding investments outside of my home country (offshore). As I understand it assets held in the UK (apart from property) can be sold capital gains tax free before I return to the UK.

I’ve bought your previous books and still need to iron out the wrinkles in my understanding. Your GEGTI book mostly warns about offshore investments through advisors without – as I could see- explaining why offshore holdings are a good thing.

5. Irene says:

I am a Canadian living in Canada, and I have the first edition of your book Millionaire Teacher. In it you recommend advisors who charge by the hour for US citizens, and also recommend Vanguard and Assetbuilder for them. Do you have any suggestions for advisors for us plain ol’ Canadians? I’ve tried searching through your site but all your recommendations seem to be for expats.

Thanks
    Irene

6. Darren Seath says:

I have something I have been wrestling with that is holding me back: where to invest. I am a Canadian who lives and teaches in Indonesia. I was hoping to set up an account in Singapore to trade through DBS but that has proven difficult as they are very strict with address verification, etc. In frustration, I have set up an account with Virtual Brokers and am ready to invest in index funds there but I am wary of what this will cost in taxes. I do not plan to return to BC until I retire. Is it a bad decision to go with virtual brokers instead of a Singapore DBS or SAXXO trading account? Will it end up costing a fortune in taxes?

I am really grateful for all the great discussions here. Thank you so much for this rich resources.

7. Darren Seath says:

I appreciate all the discussions here. Thank you for the great resources…

Darren