My Middle East Talks That Are Open To The Public

Revised January 28, 2017

Cairo American College recently decided not to open my talk to the public.  My apologies.

So far, I’m scheduled to give personal finance talks at about 30 locations in the Middle East (February to late March)

Most of the locations, for security reasons, aren’t open to the public.  But a few of them will be.

Here are the locations, times and dates of those that will be open to the public.

ABU DHABI, UAE

Monday, 6 February, 7:00PM – 8:30PM
Cranleigh Prep School
Free to attend.
To reserve a spot, please register here

Tuesday, 7 February, 7:00PM – 8:30PM

American Community School
Free to attend. You will need your ID to enter the school.

DOHA, QATAR

Sunday, 19 February, 12:00PM – 3:00PM
QBBF luncheon at the W Hotel, Doha
This luncheon is organized by the
Qatar British Business Forum. The cost
of this luncheon is 150QR per person.
To register, email Erica Cooper at qbbf.doha@gmail.com

Monday, 20 February, 3:00PM – 4:30PM
Doha College, Al Waab Campus
Free to attend. To reserve a spot, please register here

DUBAI, UAE

Tuesday, February 28, 2:15PM – 4:00PM
GEMS Modern Academy
Free to attend. You will need an ID to enter the school.
To reserve a spot, please email: ICY.A_MHS@gemsedu.com
and cc: celine.e_mhs@gemsedu.com

Sunday, March 5th, 7:00PM – 8:30PM

Event location: Al Muntazah Club, Jebal Ali Village, Dubai
The event is free to attend but registration is required:
– at this Eventbrite online site (Free Finance Talk in Dubai with Andrew Hallam)
(80 person capacity)

This is a description of the talk I will present.
Title:     Simple, Smart Investing
Topic:   Theory & Low Cost Investing Strategies
On average, expats pay the highest costs for their investment services in the world.  But most don’t realize it.  Investors often can’t pull their money out before a designated date in the future.  So if a sister’s house burns down or a person wants to travel the world for a while, or take time off to take courses, they can’t access their money without (often) paying a penalty that’s up to 80% of the value of the account.  It sounds criminal.  But there are seven large firms that sell such products.  I call these firms the “Septic Seven.”  They target expatriates abroad.

This session educates attendees on the world of investing while showing an evidence-based investment strategy.   Investors of different nationalities will be shown exactly how they can invest as an expat.  Viable alternatives to this racket–whether people are comfortable with a DIY approach or want to use a fair investment advisor –will be introduced.

There will be time afterward for a Q & A session.

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (2nd Ed. Wiley 2017) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and the Comments Policy.

1. Tony says:

Will be there tonight. Appreciate your taking time to visit us again. I am still confused between what is the best option for ETF trading in UAE. Saxo, swissquote or TD? Hope you can provide some recommendations.

• Sebastien says:

Hi Tony,
      If you’re interested, we will be discussing the online brokers available to UAE expats in in free event today in the afternoon in Duabi Media City.
      Here is the link to the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/395047904220413/?ti=cl
      It’s organized by the non-profit community ‘Common Sense Personal Finance and Investing’.

• Jen says:

I wanted to open with td direct and found it tie, consuming (I,m in Qatar) and so I opened with Saxo–which I did all online with no issues, no fuss and they phoned me and in a week or two I had an account–very very very easy! I have now also decided to open with td direct and whilst they have more requirements to follow I am finally getting one as soon as I produce a letter of my residence. ( Td asked me to call them which I found odd and said I,d prefer the, to phone me). I find the Saxo platform easy to use, hopefully td direct will be as well. Saxo charges me 0.12% p.a. in fees which is taken monthly (at least I think it’s that from what I can work out) and when I buy an ETF it costs approx £4. I,ll see what td direct charges. But for ease of opening–Saxo all the way for me.

• Jen,

I’m glad to hear that you have had some luck with Saxo.
        If you ever get a chance to use TD, you’ll find the platform easier to manage and (especially for large accounts) it’s cheaper because they don’t charge an annual percentage fee based on assets.

• Jen says:

I reread the article on here abt td direct that you wrote and it says you can get low cost index funds through them (for stocks not bonds). But when I look-am I right in saying that to invest in their low cost index funds one needs a big sum of money? I think that is what I see. I would so long be to be able to invest in low cost index funds monthly and build up my investment but that does not seem possible anywhere unless one has big bucks. ( I like the idea of those funds bcos the automatically reinvest the dividends).

• Patrick says:

Hi Jen

I’m curious about how it only costs you 4GBP when you buy an ETF. I use Saxo in Singapore also and costs me 20GBP to buy in and they take the exit fee also at the same time – another 20GBP so my ETFs always start from 40GBP in the red.

Any help explaining how you got 4GBP to buy ETFs would be great.

Thanks

Patrick

• Jen says:

Hi Patrick-I honestly don’t know. I don’t see anything that says exit fee on mine. That is just generally what I pay-once I paid £8 for buying my ETFs. I have no idea-sorry. I just know they take that monthly 0.12 and when I buy I see the charge is on average £4.

2. Mark says:

Hi Andrew it was a pleasure to meet you tonight and thank you for taking the time to do your talk. Read your book and followed you for years so was good to see you in person. Enjoy the Middle East and good luck.

3. Indira says:

I thought there was a session at Brighton college. Was it canceled?

4. Shah says:

For those who couldn’t attend yesterday, can a list of online brokers available to UAE expats be shared please?

Thanks.

5. Mark Holmes says:

Would you ever consider providing a teacher, who would like to do a pro-d / cpd on the topic of investing, with a powerpoint or some kind of guidance as to how best cover the essentials. Full credit given, obviously.

6. Agie says:

Hi andrew – is event at Brighton in Abu Dhabi still on ?

7. Tim says:

Just read your second edition of Millionaire Teacher, and it is a big improvement on the already near-prefect original.

I love the fact that you have got rid of the chapter about 10% stock-picking and purely focus on indexing now. Also, I like the fact you alert us to the wolf in sheep’s clothing that is financial institutions jumping on the indexing bandwagon, but with fees way higher than the likes of Vanguard and none of their expertise or integrity (shame on you, Richard Branson).

On a more simplistic level, the book feels a lot more substantial than the original and is packed with many more valuable resources and insights.

Thank you for being so open to feedback from your readers and for taking the time make the improvements. Your book deserves to be regarded right up there with the most accessible personal finance classics.

8. Jen says:

I wish that there was more exposure for health care workers as well–some of the healthcare sectors employ tens of thousands of people in one hospital and they are rich, fertile grounds for salespeople trying to get healthcare workers to part with their money. Behave seen them walking around and even had some cold calls myself. If they get one person they ask that person for the numbers of their colleagues to ‘help’ them as well. the worst is when my colleagues tell me proudly abt how they are investing and when I try explain that perhaps there is a better way they look at me blankly and disbelievingly. These guys are masters in the art of communication and charm!

9. ADAM says:

Can I ask if you are visiting Egypt in the future, please? I would like to inform friends over there.

Regards,

Adam

10. Bonnie says:

Will you be doing anymore presentations this month in Abu Dhabi by chance? That are either pubic or private but available for an invite? I was unfortunately out of the country on the two Dubai session dates. I’m a Cdn FP investor, that got pulled in back in 2013 and would really benefit from attending one of your sessions to determine the best way out of FP and how to move forward. Appreciate your response!
    Thanks,