How Expats Should Invest For Their Children’s Education

Krista Plank is a single Canadian woman who’s living in China.

She’s raising her six-year old son, Malaya. When she graduated from university, Krista had $50,000 in student loan debt. “I want to avoid that for my son,” she says. That’s why Krista is investing money for Malaya’s education.

If she still lived in Canada, the process would be easy. Krista could open a RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan) in her son’s name.

But because Krista lives overseas, she can’t open such an account.

Image by Pixabay

Read the rest of the story here

worlds best value financial advisor

Andrew Hallam

I’m a financial columnist for Canada’s national paper, The Globe and Mail, as well as for AssetBuilder, a financial service firm based in Texas. I’m also the author of Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School (2nd Ed. Wiley 2017) and The Global Expatriate’s Guide To Investing: From Millionaire Teacher to Millionaire Expat (Wiley 2015). My mission is to educate, motivate and inspire people on basic retirement planning and best practices for investing, using evidence-based strategies. I'm happy to comment on your questions. However, please read the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and the Comments Policy.

You may also like...

3 Responses

  1. Mark says:

    What a timely article just as my wife and I are expecting our first child! We are British but have absolutely no idea where our child might go to university, so should we pick index ETFs linked to the British pound? Also, and I appreciate that this depends on many factors, how much money (roughly) should you put away annually for your child’s education, say assuming the go to university in the UK (where it’s quite expensive)? Just a rough figure.

  2. C.A.R says:

    first of all thanks a bunch for all the educational material out there (I started by listening to the afford anything interview)

    Do you have any experience/knowledge regarding Israel?
    The pensions here are fully managed fund, and there are no index funds available. Since there also is a middle man, some type of insurance agent, that might also increase the expenses.
    Any private investment account will have a 20 % tax on it.
    My wife having US citizenship, we file her 1040 each year. I started considering if it would be worth while to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard and using their target pension funds?
    Also would it make sense to get an ITIN and start filing my self, in order to open a Roth IRA account->VFIFX?


Leave a Reply

For your privacy we strongly recommend you do not use your full real name. While your email address will not be published, it may reveal your photo or a recognizable image if it is associated with It is strongly suggested you do not use a corporate or ISP email address. Before your comment is published you will receive an email asking you to confirm your email address. Select "Notify me of follow-up comments via email" to receive notifications of replies and be able to adjust your subscription. Published comments will not be deleted.

By clicking "Post Comment" you confirm you have read and agree to the conditions on the Legal Page; including the Privacy Policy, the Cookie Policy, and the Comments Policy.  We reserve the right to not publish comments that do not meet guidelines.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!