Exactly what components come together to create a best-seller? Obviously, the book has to be decent, but loads of great books go unpublished—and hundreds (even thousands) of bestselling books have their readers scratching their heads and asking, “How did this book become such a hit?”
Millionaire Teacher is a book that, I think, fit a market niche. My fellow teachers at Singapore American School guided me to keep the book simple and engaging. I have hundreds of my fellow educators to thank. I also want to thank MoneySense Magazine’s founding editor (and now the Features Editor at The Globe and Mail) for convincing me to write this book, and for putting together such an amazing Foreword.
The book wouldn’t have been published in the first place if it weren’t for the great work that David Dixon did on my personal finance blog. That’s an understatement. He convinced me to start the blog, and it caught the attention of John Wiley & Sons when they received my initial book proposal back in June of 2010.
The powerful endorsements from many of the world’s greatest investment writers gave this book immediate credibility. Thank you to Burton Malkiel, Scott Burns, Robert P. Miles, Paul B Farrell, William Bernstein, Larry Swedroe, Bill Schultheis, Charles E. Kirk, Michael O’Higgins, John Heinzl and Robert Wasilewski.
Giving the book its incredible wheels were the bloggers, interviewers and financial writers who created reviews and profiles. My apologies if I missed people (I’m sure I have) but I want to do my best to thank everyone who played a role in this book’s success, including Scott Burns and Kennon Grose at Assetbuilder. Here are some of the people who put an unlikely author on so many American, Singaporean, Canadian, Malaysian and Chinese nightstands. (Yes, the book is being produced in basic and orthodox Chinese, for Taiwan and mainland China)
- MoneySense Magazine’s editor, Duncan Hood, offered a promotional hand when publishing an excerpt from Millionaire Teacher
- Duncan Hood and the superb writer, Dan Bortolotti ensured a wonderful author profile in MoneySense Magazine in the article, Secrets of the Rich
- Canadian Business Review with Larry McDonald
- Canadian Couch Potato Blog Review with Dan Bortolotti
- CBS MarketWatch Review with Larry Swedroe
- Moneyville Review with Ellen Roseman
- CNBC Interview
- DIY Investor Blog Review with Robert Wasilewski
- Dividend Ninja Review
- Scott Burns’ Review of Millionaire Teacher
- Comox Valley Record Review with Paula Wild
- Afford Anything Investment Blog Review of Millionaire Teacher with Paula Pant
- DIY Investor Investment Blog Review of Millionaire Teacher with Robert Wasilewski
- My Own Advisor Investment Blog Review of Millionaire Teacher
- The Wealthy Canadian Blog review of Millionaire Teacher
- Millionaire Teacher Tradestreaming Podcast with Zack Miller
- Millionaire Teacher: Malaysian Blog Review
- Millionaire Teacher: Singapore Blogger Review
- Singaporean blogger review
- Youngandthrifty reviews Millionaire Teacher
- Millionaire Teacher: Moneyville excerpt (powered by The Toronto Star)
Online Stories About The Author, Andrew Hallam
- Canadian blogger, The Dividend Ninja
- Canadian blogger, Invest It Wisely
- Canadian blogger, The Wealthy Canadian
- Newspaper, Today
Teams of supporters create bestsellers. And I want to thank everyone for making this book such a great success.
I’m sure to get a free dinner from my publisher out of the deal. What do you think Nick?